Recently I presented at IT Brunch online conference with a talk about experience of my team doing part time agile development. Here are some highlights:
- On a personal productivity level do not mix narrow focus tasks like fixing a bug in code with wide focus activities like contemplating about future of technology in your niche.
- If your team is distributed in time, but not in space, which is not unusual for a team of parttimers or freelancers, give yoursleves a time to get together and just talk (you can eat your lunches at that time too).
- It’s hard enough to do even one big thing, let alone two. Don’t try to focus your effort on several major features.
- General management practices still work: if you are a manager, have one-on-ones with your team members.
- Do not neglect up front design and specification development. There are situations, when it’s easier to try to foresee a problem, than try to resolve it.
There was a questions on where to get more information about one-on-one meetings. I suggest you start with One-on-Ones: The Single Most Effective Management Tool and check out other podcasts on this topic from Manager Tools.